Hello interweb, Nate here. So my 5o Facts About Superman seems like a pretty popular post and, judging by the poll I made, you guys all wanted me to explore my “50 Facts” series a bit more. Now I originally was going to go with Spider-man as my next character but because the Deadpool movie is right around the corner I thought I’d try it out with the Merc with the Mouth! So let’s jump right into this!
- For our first fact, let me go on record saying many of these facts may actually be false due to Deadpool’s mental instability and memory loss. Meaning that if the fact was stated by Deadpool himself, it’s less likely to be true
- It’s actually because of this fact that we can’t be 100% sure that Deadpool’s real name is Wade Wilson
- Deadpool was created by artist Rob Liefeld and writer Fabian Nicieza in 1991’s New Mutants #98. The idea of Deadpool was brought up by Liefeld as a parody of Deathstroke from DC’s Teen Titans.
- Deadpool’s name “Wade Wilson” is another reference to Deathstroke as his name is “Slade Wilson”
- Deadpool’s design was partially inspired by Spider-man. Due to Spider-man’s simple and easy to draw design, Liefeld drew Deadpool with a full mask.
- Deadpool’s costume looks so similar to that of Spider-man that some characters has mistaken him for the wallcrawler. Although Deadpool thinks that it’s Spider-man costume that looks like his.
- Deadpool has gone on record stating that he doesn’t wear his mask for him but for the people around him as his face is covered in gross cancer tissue
- Deadpool’s cancer was actually accelerated due to the Weapon X program, covering his entire body. The reason the cancer doesn’t kill him is because his healing factor is constantly regenerating his dead cancer tissue
- Despite Deadpool’s well known ability to break the fourth wall, She-Hulk was actually the first Marvel character to break the forth wall on a regular basis
- Deadpool is fluent in 5 different languages but can say “chimichangas” in seven (which I find strange, isn’t “chimichanga” a Spanish word to begin with? Is there really other words for “chimichanga” or is this just some weird Deadpool logic?)
- Deadpool was cursed by Thanos with immortality because they both fell in love with Death.
- Deadpool’s name comes from a betting pool referred to as the “Dead Pool” the Weapon X inmates had where they bet on how long certain inmates would live. Deadpool was given the survival rating of 1000 to 1.
- Deadpool is Canadian (I thought Canadians were suppose to be nice people)
- Deadpool has the uncanny ability to break the forth wall, meaning he’s fully aware that he’s a comic boom character in a fictional universe and is thus capable of talking to the readers. Because of this, he’s also aware of DC’s Batman who he has referenced multiple times in the comics
- It was once stated that Deadpool’s love for chimichangas is from the name of the food and not the actual food
- Deadpool’s love for chimichangas was actually brought from an inside joke that co-creator Fabian Niciaza been wanting to fit into a comic prior to Deadpool’s creation.
Deadpool’s sexuality is up for some debate. While never explicitly stated either way, he has been shown to have a rather obvious crush on Spider-man and once blurted out that he found Thor attractive. However since this is Deadpool we’re talking about, it’s possible that this is just meant to be a joke. However certain writers such as Gerry Duggan has gone on record stating that he’s “willing to do anything with a pulse”. (Personally my headcannon says he’s pan, just makes sense for the character in my opinion).
- Peter Parker wears Deadpool pajamas to bed but only Aunt May knows about it
- Deadpool is confirmed to be pansexual for his 2016 movie
- Speaking of his movie, the 2016 Deadpool movie was banned in china for it’s offensive contents
- Ryan Reynolds hates what the filmakers did with Deadpool in X-Men Origins: Wolverine (We all do, Ryan Reynolds, we all do)
Before Ryan Reynolds was cast to play the Merc with the Mouth, the comics actually made a joke where Deadpool stated he looked like a cross between Ryan Reynolds and a Shar-Pei
- Loki once cursed Deadpool to look like Tom Cruise
- Deadpool has seen every single Jackie Chan film as stated in Cable & Deadpool #17
- He also owns every episode of the original Star Trek series
Deadpool is a Star Wars purist, once killing a guy for liking the prequels (hopefully he won’t kill me for only seeing episode IV so far…shut up, I’m planning on seeing the other movies…just haven’t gotten around to it….moving on!)
- Captain America is one of the few characters who respects Deadpool
- Likewise, Captain America is Deadpool’s childhood hero and inspired him to join the Weapon X program
- In Thunderbolts (Vol 2) #23, Elektra once commented that Deadpool has nice hand writing
- Deadpool is friends with Ben Franklin’s ghost
- However, Deadpool re-killed all of the dead American Presidents when they rose from the grave
- Deadpool is currently married to the ex-fiance of Dracula and has a daughter, but the daughter isn’t from his current wife. It’s complicated
- In Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe, Deadpool…well…kills the entire Marvel universe
- Deadpool once shot himself in the head in a movie theater to avoid watching the movie
- Deadpool claims that he’s a mutant. However, other characters, such as Beast, has corrected him stating he’s not a mutant since he wasn’t born with his powers. This would classify him as a mutate.
- Despite this, Rocket Raccoon’s computer classified him as a mutant in Deadpool Vs Thanos #2
- Due to how unpredictable he is, Deadpool is one of the few characters that Taskmaster can’t copy
- Recently Deadpool has became an Avenger and is a member of X-Force and the Thunderbolts. He has also claimed to be an X-Man however other characters have denied this claim.
There is actually a Deadpool Corp made up of Deadpools from alternate realities. The members includes: Ladypool, Kidpool, Headpool, and Dogpool
- During the Deadpool’s Secret Secret Wars tie-in to the recent Secret Wars story line, Deadpool was cured of his cancer and was shown to have blonde hair
- Gambit from the X-Men has so much respect for Deadpool’s fighting skills that he once paid him off to avoid fighting him as a battle with Deadpool would basically be suicide
- Deadpool once claimed to have hacked Wolverine’s Tumblr account in Deadpool Kills Deadpool #1 (Which I find rather unbelievable…not that Deadpool hacked Wolvie’s Tumblr account but the fact that Wolverine has a Tumblr account to begin with)
- Deadpool’s speech bubbles are always colored differently to let the readers know he sounds different than most people. Blind Al once stated that it sounded like “gasoline and gravel” while Cable stated it has a “gravelly, Demi Moore” sound to it. (Personally, I’ve always heard Nolan North’s voice in my head when I read his comics. Nolan North voices Deadpool in the Hulk Vs Wolverine animated movie for those of you who don’t know)
- Deadpool’s speech bubble were originally white with red borders but switched to yellow borders before it officially stuck as an all yellow speech bubble
Deadpool (Vol 3) #27 won a Guinness World Record for the most amount of characters on a single cover. Although 236 people where present, real people (like editors and writers) and copies of Multiple Man and Collective Man weren’t counted (Although kudos for the artist, that cover’s awesome!)
- This is also the issue where Deadpool marries Dracula’s ex-fiance as mentioned earlier
- Deadpool has an irrational fear of cows and kittens is his kryptonite…the green one, not the other crazy versions
- Fans often ship Deadpool with Harley Quinn due to their similar insanity and personality (I personally approve)
- In Spider-man/Deadpool #1, Deadpool is shown to want to befriend Spider-man but also plans on killing Peter Parker
- Deadpool once possessed an infinity stone that controls continuity
So that was 50 Facts About the Merc with the Mouth! Hope you enjoyed the list! So if I decide to make a third installment to this series? Vote below for Batman or Spider-man!